April 9, 2013

Teamwork

"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."  - Bill Bradley

My second favorite time of the year, March Madness, has come to a close.  I think this is the perfect time to write about the importance of teamwork and being a team player in the daily life of a Paralegal.  Being able to work with all members of your legal team is important and a valuable asset to possess.  A team player provides assistance when needed and is not afraid to step in on short notice to help get the job done.  

Try to be aware of what is going on in your group or department.  If you are at lunch with your co-workers or chatting at the copy machine and a co-worker mentions an interesting assignment or just seems stressed about their workload, don't be afraid to speak up and offer assistance.  Even if they don't need it at the time, you might be the first person they call when they do need help.  Of course, anytime you are thinking of taking on additional work, be sure to check with your supervising attorney so they can approve of the work. 

Anytime you take on a new assignment, be sure to get clear instructions and ask any relevant questions at that time.  Follow up with in a timely manner to provide updates on your work.  It's a simple way to let that person know you are still working on the assignment.  Communication is important part of teamwork.   

My best advice for being a great team player is to NEVER use the phrase "It's not my job."  If you have ever uttered those words, immediately remove it from your professional vocabulary.  A bad attitude will close off opportunities for learning and development.   Instead, switch out the negative with the simple phrase "How can I help?"  A good attitude and willingness to work as part of a team will take you far in your career! 

My personal motto is I'm happy to help and if I don't know how to do the assignment, show me how to do it and I'll get it done.  This attitude has opened up a lot of opportunities for me and I have learned a lot. 

1 comment:

  1. Great advice, Leslie, and a great attitude to have, especially if a paralegal wants to advance in his or her career.

    ReplyDelete